Did you inherit a sewing machine or are you looking to expand your crafting skills? Take a sewing course!
Classes: 8 classes of 2 hours (8 weeks)
Dates & times: see “Groups” below
During the sewing course at Handwerkstudio Leiden you will learn the basics of sewing with a sewing machine. From threading the machine to adjusting the tension and picking the right needle, we will pay extra attention to the sewing machine and its workings. Besides that, we will get acquainted with pattern copying, reading and sewing from pattern instructions. During the first class you will receive a sewing book developed for this course.
There are 3 levels to choose from: Basis 1 for absolute beginners, Basic 2 for those who have sewed before, and Advanced for experiences sewers looking for a challenge. More information on the different levels. When in doubt, please shoot me an e-mail!
What can you learn to make?
Anything from (children’s) clothing to home accessories, bags, plushies etc. You are certainly not limited to clothing!
Before the start of the first lesson you will receive a material list. Basic 1 student will do a mandatory program of sewing a bag, a zipper pouch, a pillow case and a simpel cardigan or T-shirt. Basic 2 and advanced students bring their own projects or choose from the pattern magazines available at the Studio.
In Mardie’s groups you can also learn to sew a historical costume, like a beautiful Venetian dress or Renaissance doublet.
The groups are mixed level. You start at your own level.
- Group Wednesday evening 19:30-21:30 (Mardie)
- Group Thursday evening 19:30-21:30 (Mardie)
- Group Sunday morning 10:30-12:30 (Mardie)
- Group Sunday afternoon 13:00-15:00 (Mardie)
The lessons for September – November 2017 are full! We will resume our sewing classes in January 2018. You can subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date on when the new courses will start. Expect more news about starting dates mid-november 2017!
- Unless specified otherwise, courses have a minimum of 3 students.
- Prices include VAT, use of machines and tools, coffee, tea & snacks. Some courses require you to buy your own materials. You will be send a material list after signing up for the course.
- All courses are taught in groups. For private lessons, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can bring your own sewing machine (including manual) or use the ones at the Studio.
- There are two extra classes for those who missed 1 or 2 classes. The first extra class is 1 week after the last lesson of the course, same time. The second extra class is on Saturdays, once a month, during the extra class 10:30-12:30. For 2017 this is 29 July, 13 August, 23 September, 14 October and 4 November (no Saturday classes in December). After that, no more missed classes can be re-taken. If you fall ill or have urgent personal matters we can discuss other options. We cannot refund missed classes.
- Your subscription is complete after your payment has been received. Please pay your invoice within 14 days after the invoice date.
- If you cancel the course up to 7 days before the start date, you will be issued a full refund. If you cancel the course 7 days or less before the start date, you will be issued a refund of 50%. After the start of the course, we cannot issue a refund any more.